Professional Diplomas at the Schulich School of Engineering
The diploma program is intended primarily for professional engineers engaged in practice who are interested in a recognized postgraduate qualification.
Diploma programs are available through the following departments / specializations:
- Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering (403-220-5751)
- Department of Civil Engineering (403-220-5821)
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (403-220-5806)
- Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (403-220-5771)
- Energy and the Environment (403-220-5821)
- Project Management Specialization (Diploma of the Schulich School of Engineering and the Haskayne School of Business) (403-220-5821)
- Approved engineering degree or equivalent
- Engineers without a degree who are registered as Professional Engineers with APEGGA or an equivalent association may also be eligible. The decision on eligibility will be made by the head of the department concerned.
- For the Diploma in Project Management, those having equivalent qualifications or experience as determined by the director of the project management specialization. (For more information, refer to the program details section of the U of C Calendar - Diplomas)
- The English Language Proficiency requirement and the Effective Writing Requirement of the University of Calgary apply to all applicants.
For the Diploma of the Schulich School of Engineering in all departments and in Enery and the Environment:
- Eight half courses, of which at least four must be graduate courses in engineering. Courses that have been used for credit toward an undergraduate degree, or their equivalent will not be credited toward the diploma.
- Enquiries about appropriate courses to complete the requirements of the program should be directed to the office of the department concerned.
For the Diploma of the Schulich School of Engineering and Faculty of Management in Project Management:
- Eight half courses, of which at least six must be graduate courses in project management. Courses that have been used for credit toward an undergraduate degree, or their equivalent will not be credited toward the diploma.
- Enquiries about appropriate courses to complete the requirements of the program should be directed to the director of the project management specialization.
The faculty allows six years for completion of diploma requirements. Courses taken in excess of six years prior to the application for convocation will not normally be credited toward the diploma. Students who have taken appropriate courses at another institution may request an assessment by the department involved for transfer credit. At least half of the courses required for the diploma, and at least half of the graduate courses required for the diploma, must be taken at the University of Calgary.
Submit an Application for Admission indicating the diploma sought with the appropriate fees. The application deadline is April 1 for September admission. Arrange for the submission of two official copies of your transcripts to the registrar's office from each institution attended (transcripts are not required from the University of Calgary).
You may submit an application for the diploma program before taking any courses toward the diploma, or you may apply to take individual courses as an unclassified student before applying for admission to the diploma program. Suitable courses completed as an unclassified student will be credited toward the diploma program requirements on admission.
A student must obtain a grade point average of at least 2.50 in a course taken for credit toward the diploma. The minimum passing grade in courses taken for credit in the diploma program is "C".
When you have successfully completed the requirements for the diploma program, you must apply to graduate whether you plan to attend convocation or not. The deadline for application is February 1 for June convocation and August 15 for November convocation.